Friday, May 06, 2011

General Election 2011

I don't like to post any General Election news or latest updates. It's too political and would rise controversial. Anyway, voting should keep it to yourself. Shhh... (.__.)

I found this on Facebook.
Is my vote really secret?


Though I said that I don't like to post any GE news, I like this article. And I want to archive it. =)

Dreams of a 61-year old Singaporean
Posted by preview on May 5, 2011 in Main Stories | 41 Comments

I was born after World War Two. My father was an accounts clerk father and my mother, a homemaker. At 61, I’m considered a ‘senior’ Singaporean.

For the past weeks I have been thinking of Singapore, this place I call home.

As a child, I took the bus alone, from Jalan Bahagia to school at CHIJ in Victoria Street. The frequent breakdowns of the buses were moments of stress because it meant that the next bus would be jam packed, with some commuters even hanging from the doors and the harrassed conductors scolding everyone.

Water rationing was common and I was thankful I had strong brothers to carry those buckets of water home. The Orchard Road floods recently brought back memories of our terrace home in Jalan Bahagia which became flooded at least once every year and again my brothers proved useful. They helped Dad carry the furniture and fridge upstairs. Sometimes the waters came up too fast and the furniture had to be replaced. Jalan Bahagia then was a lovely place to stay. Yet, the constant stresses of the flooding caused my Dad, who was the most patient man I know, to say that he had enough! We later moved to a two-room flat in Toa Payoh, all nine of us cramped in the flat.

I was in CHIJ secondary by then. One of the fun things we did was to help each other in our studies. We did this naturally, no teachers tasked us to. But what I loved most about school was helping out at the annual fun fairs. My friends and I would go from class to class selling tickets to raffle a beautiful iced cake baked by someone’s mum. I think the proceeds went to charity.

When we were growing up, we didn’t have dependable public transport, we didn’t have a perfect water supply. We didn’t even have a dry house sometimes. Except for my elder brother, all my siblings and I are now married with children of our own. We live in our own homes with our children. Since then, I have watched Singapore grow to what it is today – an impressive city state with beautiful buildings and much greenery. There are gleaming trains and good infrastructure.

Externally it is a very impressive country, even more so with the MRT, the "Durian" and other structures. But sadly, within, I feel that the country is not so impressive.

Being a multiracial society, it had taken us years to slowly become a united people who see one another as Singaporeans first, race second. The increasing number of foreigners is taking its toll and it is not only on crowded train rides. I suddenly realised, some months ago that I no longer hear Singlish on the trains. I feel like our Singaporean identity is being slowly chipped away by the languages and presence of these throngs of people from other places. The original striving for "excellence" has become "competition" in all our schools. For students today competition has become part of their education ¬- competition with foreign students and competitions galore for most CCAs.

We have other social problems like the high cost of living and housing. Our young people work long hours, yet they are told that Singapore does not have enough talent. If that is so, then what is the purpose of all the expensive education our Singaporeans have received?

What struck me most during the rallies was the reaction of the Singaporeans to the speakers in the opposition parties. There was some rhetoric as can be expected but the response of the crowds to me showed the true state of our society – a people burdened, stifled and suffocated.

What has happened to our country? In my view, many wrong policies that focus on raising the GDP are affecting our society and unless changes are made soon I feel that Singapore will collapse. Our fellow citizens will either give up in apathy or totally rebel. Either response is disastrous for this beautiful home that we call Singapore.

One of my dreams is to see Singaporean children enjoying their childhood and their education, like we did growing up in the 1960s. Where school is a place where kids can be happy, not stressed and parents are able to come home from work early enough so the family can spend time playing and talking.

Growing up during those post-war years, we shared our poverty in the sense that we were all poor together. Since then, many of us have moved beyond poverty. Another of my dreams is that as Singapore moves into an even richer future, we will share our prosperity equally too.

As for myself, come 7th May, I will cast my vote so that my children and my grandchildren to come can live in a future where there are legitimate avenues of expression for them, a future where their voices matter when it comes to steering the course of the nation and where every Singaporean is able to lead a meaningful life. That is my final dream for this country I love and call home.

Gwen Pinto
--
The Online Citizen
20 Maxwell Road #09-17
Maxwell House
Singapore 069113

Source from: http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/dreams-of-a-61-year-old-singaporean/?sms_ss=facebook&at_xt=4dc2770e08e5c5c6%2C0

No comments:

Post a Comment