Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Lasik clinic's hard sell left her confused and fuming

Sun, Dec 07, 2008


The Straits Times


I refer to last Sunday's article, 'Lasik price wars'.



I almost fell prey to a Lasik clinic's hard-sell tactics.



At first, I was impressed by the many sophisticated machine tests at the clinic that lasted for three hours, and the hour-long counselling by its good-looking staff.

But later, I was left feeling confused and fuming.



An optometrist there informed me that my left eye was my dominant eye, instead of my right one.



She claimed I had been wrongly diagnosed by my personal optometrist of five years.



I was asked to place a full payment before leaving the clinic, in order to enjoy the promotional rates.



But I left the clinic, insisting that I should try wearing contact lenses to test if I was really left-eye-dominant first before making any decision.



The clinic followed up with calls to ask about my condition, although I had not yet tried the lenses. The staff said I should secure the promotional rates by making an appointment.



After checking the prices for the standard Lasik procedure, I withdrew $3,100 from my savings, and went to make payment.



When I arrived, I was told I had 'steep corneas', which would require a bladeless procedure that would cost me $3,888 before goods and services tax.



I saw red upon hearing this.



The senior surgeon had not informed me I had 'steep corneas' during my evaluation, and had given me the impression that I could have a standard procedure.



The clinic then slashed the price by $200, but I still refused to sign.



Later, I was informed that I could opt for a standard procedure for one eye, and a bladeless procedure for the other eye, which would save me another $200 - but I had to have the operations done by end-October.



I stomped out of the clinic fuming.



I found such conduct unprofessional - the clinic was out to make money, not to help me see better.



I have since visited another clinic, which does not advertise or engage in a price war and has been very patient.



And guess what? I am actually right-eye-dominant.



Connie Loh (Ms)


Article from: http://www.asiaone.com/News/the%2BStraits%2BTimes/Story/A1Story20081207-106087.html

No comments:

Post a Comment